Saturday, January 15, 2011

Addind a startup script to be run on startup Debian

Oops, Since i'm just a newbie in handling debian server, I've noticed that some of my scripts are not working after a series of reboot and I've found out that /etc/rc.local does not work on debian linux. Looking over the internet I've found some link to point to my direction.

Answer is this : 
1. Ok so suppose you have a script you want to run each time you boot up( I have a script to start my internet connection with authentication).It is pretty easy 1. Write a script and put it in/etc/init.d/ directory. 
  Lets say you call it man.
2. Then run %update-rc.d man defaults.
3. Do not  forget to make the script you write executable , it can be done by chmod +x man.
% man update-rc.d for more information. It is a Debian utility to install scripts. The option “defaults” puts a link to start FOO in run levels 2, 3, 4 and 5. (and puts a link to stop man into 0, 1 and 6.)
Also, to know which runlevel you are in, use the runlevel command


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any suggestion or clarification you send it via on this form.